What Students are Doing During Quarantine to Pass Time

Junior Amaya Bernal’s photo collages she designed herself displayed on her wall. Photo courtesy of Amaya Bernal.

Samantha Lambert, Staff Writer

During this pandemic everyone, especially students, have had a lot of free time on their hands. Passing time can be one of the trickiest things to do when there is no where to go, and no one to see. It has been very easy to get bored fast these past several weeks. 

Everyone passes time in different ways. Junior, Emily McNulty says, “I have been going on walks to the beach just to get out of the house when I can’t stand being inside any longer. I have also been doing my own nails for fun since I can no longer get them done at the salon. Although I’m not the best at it, it has been a fun alternative rather than sitting on my phone.” Going outside for walks, whether by yourself, or with family is a great way to enjoy the beautiful place we call home. It is also a perfect way to pass free time rather than watching tv, or making tiktoks. Junior Melissa Heiter says, “I have tye dyed random clothes I had in my closet. Me and my sister, Michelle, enjoyed doing this because it was an easy and fun way to make old clothes more trendy.” Tye dying has recently come back into style, and has had teenagers revamping all their old clothes. 

Some people have gotten very creative with their time, creating things they have always wanted to do, just never had the right amount of time. Junior, Amaya Bernal says, “I used an app to print hundreds of pictures of me and my friends, and other trendy things. I arranged them into three different collages and placed them into frames. It was really time consuming but was worth the end result. I displayed them above my bed, and added string lights around.” Bernal’s project is an example of a longer project that you can take on, and may use up several hours of your time. Although this time has been stressful, and boring for some there are many creative things you can do to be more productive, and have a little fun while doing it.