Four Year Universities and Colleges Make an Exception to Their Application Process for the Class of 2021 Students

multiple textbooks Junior Shea Carroll has used to prepare for the SAT. Photo courtesy Shea Carroll

Abby Woodward and Malcolm Chavez

The COVID-19 pandemic has brought various problems and changes to our society and how we normally function, among one of those changes is a large one for the high school graduating class of 2021. Due to our new normal that we all adjust to with social distancing, many states have canceled or postponed their SAT and ACT testing. This fact has caused a lot of stress, anxiety, fear, and possible anger to the graduating class of 2021, however many do understand the decision. High school junior Soledad Meade says, “The SAT’s provided by the schools had to be canceled and for most students that is the only SAT they will take… so it makes sense that schools go test-optional because many students are unable to even take the necessary testing.”

High school juniors have been preparing all year for their tests, and with the recent pandemic affecting everyone around the world, this test is unable to be taken among the chaos. Students that have paid for preparation courses and have spent long hours preparing are disappointed due to the unfortunate circumstances. Junior Shea Carroll says, “I spent 6 hours a week for 7 weeks on my SAT class in addition to taking multiple practice tests and spending hours on homework from 3 enormous textbooks every week in addition to sports, work, extracurriculars, and all my normal school responsibilities and the week leading up to the Saturday I was supposed to take it I spent over 2 hours practicing every day and it got canceled the night before.”

In attempts to relieve anxiety and ensure every graduating student for the class of 2021 has an equal and fair chance in getting accepted into a university, many colleges throughout the country have made their application process test-optional for this graduating class. This decision made by certain colleges and universities was made to ensure fairness among all of their applicants. This new exception, as of right now, only applies for the class of 2021 applicants but has sparked conversation among many about the faults in standardized testing. Junior Ava Ciambriello says, “Honestly I think it’s a good thing because I never liked the SAT because I don’t believe one test should judge someone’s knowledge…some people aren’t good test-takers, and some are. The SAT is not a good reflection of all students academically.”