Time to Apply for College: Pandemic Edition

Seniors are counting down the days to meet college deadlines

Most students applying to college fill out the Common Application to send out to their schools. Photo Courtesy: Christian Piscitelli. October 22, 2020

Kaitlyn Dalby and Devyn Weed

Seven months ago, our world got turned upside down when the Covid-19 pandemic hit.  It has affected everything from shopping at the grocery store, to seniors applying to college.

Due to the circumstances 2020 has brought us, the college process for seniors has been more difficult than usual for some. It is very hard for prospective students to get the full experience of the schools before applying to them. Senior, Jessie D´avignon says, ¨I’d say the hardest part is rather than visiting schools in person, we have to go online which can be really hard to get a feel for a school and see if you could actually live there for the next four years.¨ 

Senior, Kayleigh Hackett says, ¨It’s hard to look at colleges when we aren’t supposed to be in contact with people and because online tours aren’t really giving you a full perspective of the school.¨

Mrs. Melissa Wunder the head of the College and Career Center says, “…we have had the opportunity to host visits from many colleges that could not travel to us in the past such as the University of Tennessee, the University of South Florida, the University of South Carolina, and the United States Naval Academy. 

Some seniors had the opportunity to visit a few colleges before COVID was prevalent in the world. Hackett says, ¨ I have visited a couple before this year, like Wesleyan, Williams, and Marist, but I haven’t been able to do anything other than virtual tours since then.” 

Campustours.com is just one resource students can use to virtually visit schools, go to the schools website, and see information about the school. This is a great opportunity to see what these colleges are like under these unique circumstances and to see whether you would want to spend your college years there.

Teachers and guidance counselors are currently helping seniors apply. Foran is constantly sending emails and meeting with students to make the application process as easy as possible.

Colleges are reaching out via email to help students stay informed. Many schools are making their applications SAT and ACT optional, which takes the pressure off of students who struggle with taking tests. “In addition to most not requiring SAT/ACT scores including the Ivy’s many have extended application deadlines and increased scholarships for your class,” says Wunder.

Although the college process may be different this year, it’s important to think about the benefits of getting through it. Going to college, getting into the majors/minors they like, and going into the next chapter in their lives will be worth it in the end.