The Season of Thanksgiving

Gratitude Around School

A Time to be Grateful: An inspirational garden stone. Photo courtesy: Steph Galaburri, November 8, 2020.

Stephanie Galaburri, Staff Writer

The holidays are right around the corner and along comes the season of Thanksgiving. Students and staff express all that they’re grateful for this time of the year.

The season of gratitude is upon us and it can be difficult to find things to be thankful for with all the things going on in the world. However, the students and staff of our community proved that there are still many things to be grateful for this year. 

Junior Caitlin Cook says, “I am thankful for the little things in life. From being able to wake up everyday to being able to laugh and enjoy so many moments.” Cook touches on how we take many things for granted and should appreciate the little things that are overlooked. “There are so many things to be grateful for even when it seems like there isn’t.” 

Showing appreciation for what you have  in life can also improve your mental health. Guidance counselor Catherine Olsen says, “If you write down or say out loud 3 things you’re grateful for everyday it’s actually shown to improve your mental health.” Olsen says if you continue to practice this for a little while you’ll find yourself smiling and enjoying life more. It’s a good way to recognize the positive things that have happened. 

The Mental Health and First Aid organization states, “By consciously practicing gratitude, we can train the brain to attend selectively to positive emotions and thoughts, thus reducing anxiety and feelings of apprehension.” They advise to not only be grateful for the big things such as family and health, but also the little things. 

Cook describes, “it’s important to show gratitude because it gives us a way to show appreciation to others and life in general.” She says it’s a way of keeping track of what makes you happy which gives you motivation. Being grateful can remind you of how fortunate you may be compared to others. 

There are many things to be grateful for this year and it doesn’t have to be limited to friends and family. Many things are worthy of being appreciated, no matter how big or small. It’s humbling and beneficial for your mental health to find the good things in life. 

Everyday holds positives to appreciate and negatives to reflect. Cook declares, “I hope to make the most of every moment because life moves fast and I don’t want to waste it.”