Focusing on Priorities

Gavin clearys weekly schedule. Photo courtesy: Gavin Cleary December 10, 2020.

Gavin cleary’s weekly schedule. Photo courtesy: Gavin Cleary December 10, 2020.

Jason Cruz, Staff Writer

Many people around the world struggle with procrastination, including students and teachers. Some ways that students and teachers deal with procrastination are by using calendars, notebooks, and  planners to organize their ideas and thoughts ahead of time so they know what is yet to come.

School counselor, Ms. Catie Olsen says, “ To organize my plans, I use calendars. I have a calendar in my phone, on my computer, in my paper planner, and on my refrigerator! I know it may seem a little superfluous, but it helps me remember what I have to do no matter where I am. It also helps me to know when I can take a break and relax.”

Although it is important to organize and write down your plans. Olsen says, “To stay focused, I reward myself. If I work for a couple of hours, I might take a 5 minute break to eat a cookie, stretch, text a friend, or do something else I enjoy. This helps me focus because I know that if I complete a certain amount of work, there is something nice waiting on the other end.”

While planning and sorting your day is a good help you should always take time to focus on the things you like and take time away from work, and school.

Student athlete Gavin Cleary from Fairfield Prep says, “I deal with procrastination by always doing what I feel is right, sometimes I organize my plans by talking to other people ahead of time or planning out my day. in order to focus on my studies, I start by doing my homework right after school ends, and if I have a test or quiz the next day, I study after school. During my online school I have no distractions and focus just on the teacher.”

While many students seem to have trouble with online learning due to distractions, Cleary has learned to use this situation to his advantage by Cleary has used this situation to his advantage by applying time management skills in order to plan for his priorities, such as school work.

According to edutopia “Estimates indicate that 80 to 95 percent of college students engage in procrastination, approximately 75 percent consider themselves procrastinators, and almost 50 percent procrastinate consistently and problematically.”

These ideas may prove beneficial for some people who struggle with procrastination. 

Platt tech Alumni, Jalese Garcia says, “I don’t deal with procrastination. It’s a very bad habit of mine. I tend to have plans but always end up rushing because I’m taking forever to get ready. I do not organize my plans. Every single day I just wake up and go day by day. I never usually have a set plan unless it’s work or something family related.”

Unfortunately some people are  unable to plan and organize their plans ahead of time. According to Edutopia Studies, “Procrastination is more likely when the task is meaningful and the individual cares about doing it well.” As we start a new year, it’s important to reflect on what we need to prioritize and the impact our efforts will have on our goals.