Spring Sports: Girls’ Track Season

Seniors from the girls’ track team celebrating senior night. Photo Courtesy: Lucila Massey

Sanaa Darden and Kaleigh Porcu

Track is one of the most competitive sports in the spring season, with 44 different events including sprints, middle distance, long distance, hurdles, relays, long jump, high jump, triple jump, pole vault, discus, shot put, javelin, hammer throw, and more.

Varsity sprinter and thrower Jessie D’Avignon shares her favorite part about track is the people on the team. 

She says, “A lot of it is trying to beat your own personal best, but there is still amazing support from the entire team. It’s amazing the energy that people have even after practically dying while running.”

In each running event, athletes run a different distance. During each race, athletes run between 100 and 5000 meters. However, not all events involve running, and speed isn’t required to join track.

Track targets the lower body and core. For this sport, form is one of the most important things due to its impact on stability, which will help one to perform their best at the track meet.  

Iris Chen, senior runner, shares, “The reason for joining track was because I was a part of the middle school track team for 3 years and decided to continue running and be a part of the high school track team. My favorite part of track is competing at the meets. I have met so many new people at our meets and I enjoy socializing and cheering for my teammates.”

Track meets aren’t like regular sport games, as the track team competes with multiple schools. Athletes compete to win 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. 

The girls’ track coach, Mr. Jeffrey Raucci, states, “My favorite part of the track season is when we have the SCC’s for those athletes who qualify and the Novice meet for the underclassmen. These two meets are very competitive for our girls and push them to their maximum potential.” 

Raucci has been coaching the girls’ track team for three years. He knows the track meets are very competitive, and he feels like it pushes the girls to their maximum potential. He loves coaching the team because he gets to see the students in different settings. It helps strengthen his relationships with students. 

The novice meet is for any freshman, sophomore, or junior who didn’t qualify for SCC’s. 

Kayleigh Hackett, senior, has been running track for four years. She states, “I definitely recommend it. It’s a very low-pressure environment and the team is very welcoming. I have loved running track for the past four years.”

There are a variety of events to choose from in outdoor track. Track and field to the average outsider may be seen as boring or a waste of time. However, there is so much more behind the front face of the track community. Joining track is a great way to meet new people and become physically fit.

Highlights from the SCC’s:  Jill Junga ran a 1:06 for the 400. Arezoo Ghazagh ran the 800 with a time of 2:31.  Some athletes will continue on to states for Foran. Ghazagh for the 800m, Soledad Meade and Ava Steigbigel for pole vault, and the 100m relay team of Hackett, D’Avignon, Junga, and Steigbigel.

The novice meet is today at Daniel Hand High School, in Madison, Connecticut.