Four Years of Growth

The Change That Seniors Experience

Freshman+to+Senior%3A+Tighe+Duggan+as+a+freshman+versus+a+senior.+

Tighe Duggan

Freshman to Senior: Tighe Duggan as a freshman versus a senior.

High school is often described as the most influential time in a person’s life. Over the four years, people will grow and change into the person they are today. Foran is no exception, many seniors have taken time to reflect on their four years of high school and how they’ve changed in that time.

Venice Montanaro claims to have had a huge change over her high school years, “I used to be super quiet and hated public speaking. However, now I actively look to speak in public, make new friends, and advocate for my opinions… I think that I have matured the most with my emotions. I’ve gotten a lot better at understanding my emotions and the ones around me.”

Montanaro says these changes were definitely for the better and that she is happy with who she is now, thanks to those changes.

High school sports tend to have the biggest impact on a person’s character. Athletes often learn many valuable lessons competing alongside their peers.

Chip Parker thanks his time on the track team for a lot of the change he’s experienced. “I think I have matured the most in my thought process and how I respond to certain actions or scenarios, that is most likely due to the challenges I have faced as a student and athlete.” 

Parker has learned many valuable skills in track such as dealing with disappointments and challenges, how to work with others, and how to think about things in new innovative ways. These are all skills Parker believes will help him in the future.

Tighe Duggan feels he has changed a lot since freshman year. “My friends and the people I surrounded myself with changed a ton, I became a lot more outgoing, and just more comfortable in my own skin in general. I also feel like my personality and interests have changed so much. I feel like I do so many new things that I have come to love, like cross country or certain subjects in school, or new hobbies that I used to hate.”

Duggan also believes he has developed many valuable skills over his high school years such as better time management, social skills, and how to take more care of his physical and mental health. “ I don’t think you notice your change until you look back really far. Like stuff won’t happen overnight or in a week or even a month, but I know that I am so different from freshman year.”

School counselor Mrs.  Lauren Giustino continues the conversation about seniors changing, elaborating, “I’ve seen a lot of growth in my seniors since their freshmen years. Aside from growing up and taking on more responsibilities, I see many of them start to become more confident with who they are- things they like, things they don’t like, things they want to learn, and goals they want to accomplish.”