Seniors in Student Government – The Mark They Will Leave Behind

Venice Montanaro

Board of Education Liaisons: Board of Education Liaisons Venice Montanaro and Connor Nieman pose for a selfie., September 12, 2022.

Student government officers are elected by their peers in their class. The officers help plan events, pep rallies, fundraisers etc. The 2023 student officers are President Julia Deicicchi, Vice President Mallory Janik, Secretary Kaitlyn Beaupre, Treasurer Kaleigh Morton, and Board of Education Liaisons Venice Montanaro and Connor Nieman. 

Deicicchi has been class president since her freshman year and has been a pivotal part of her class as well as the Milford community. Discussing her decision to run for class president, Deicicchi states, “I have a passion for organizing events and I felt as though I could represent my classmates well. I wanted to make sure that everyone had a memorable high school experience. It’s a role I have been honored to have.” 

Deicicchi says she is proud of what she accomplished as class president. Some people view class presidency as more hard work than fun, while others, such as Deicicchi, enjoy every aspect of it.

“I have really enjoyed being class president and have had so much fun with the different events,” she states. “We have started new traditions such as seniors helping seniors and the ice cream social. It’s been fun to meet so many new people in my grade, and I really enjoy building new friendships,” she shares.

Deicicchi is undoubtedly going to leave an impact on the school, through the things she has done in her time as a student such as hard work and commitment to those in her class. 

“I tried to listen to different groups of people to make everyone feel included in these events. We have planned many events like pep rallies, senior events like rock painting and senior sunrise and have really made the most of our senior year.”

Janik has also been part of the student government since freshman year and has been with Deicicchi since the beginning of their high school careers, helping Deicicchi every single step of the way.

She clarifies, “Julia really encouraged me to run for office, and I’m glad she did because I realized that I wanted to make a difference in our school community in some way and this was the perfect opportunity to do so. I always enjoy leadership positions which was another reason I wanted to earn VP.” 

With Janik being in student government for her whole high school career, she definitely has had some good memories.  

“I have enjoyed all of the things that come with being a student government officer,” she says. 

Many things are expected when becoming a student government officer, and Janik has been prepared for all of them, and has her own strategies and ideas as to how. 

“I like planning school events, fundraisers, and activities, and I enjoy having a voice and being an advocate for the students. I like that my position allows me to speak up for everyone and keep everyone’s best interest in mind when planning and facilitating things. I also enjoy being a leader and being someone others can come to and look up to.” 

Janik believes she has done her part in helping her class, and she says it has been an honor to serve her fellow students.

She continues, “I think I’ve made my mark as a student government officer by being reliable and taking initiative, and by giving our class a memorable high school experience. I truly feel as though I have impacted many by creating such a welcoming, exciting, and fun school environment to be in, and a lot of our best high school memories come from things Julia and I have planned and organized.” 

Beaupre has done her part by helping Deicicchi and Janik plan events not only for the seniors, but for the whole school. 

“I joined student government so that I could feel more involved with school organized activities and organize and participate more in fundraising events. I wanted to help make the years of high school as exciting as possible, and joining student government has allowed me to do that,” Beaupre stated.  

As secretary, Beaupre has helped with many successful events in the Foran community.  She has hoped to make this year a more successful and entertaining year, following the rough start of the class of ‘23s high school career.

“I have influenced student-led events such as pep rallies and senior picnics, as well as fundraisers. This year especially they have seemed like a success and similar ideas will be used in the years following. It is a great way to bring the school community closer and organize fun activities to break up the school year.” 

Morton, as treasurer, has also been a big part of helping the senior class and school community. 

“I wanted to be a part of student government to further challenge myself in leadership abilities and to learn skills on working with others,” she stated.  

Morton not only joined the student government for experience, but also to understand the school community and student opinions so they could make the best events possible. 

She continues, “As an officer, I’ve always thought about what the students as a whole want rather than my own preferences. So, I believe I’ve left my mark by making student government-run experiences the best they could for everyone.” 

Not only are there the four main student government officers, there are also two Board of Education liaisons: Venice Montanaro and Connor Nieman. 

Both were chosen by Foran’s principal Mr. Max Berkowitz. Montanaro states, “I love public speaking and sharing my ideas. When Mr. Berkowitz asked Connor and [me] to represent Foran, I was honored.” 

Both Nieman and Montanaro have stepped up to take on these jobs, in their own impactful and honorable ways. They feel a sense of accomplishment and recognition when taking on such an important and memorable role in their high school class.

Nieman also has a similar experience to Montanaro’s. Nieman clarifies, “What made me want to join student government was I wanted to be more involved in the school community. As a Board of Education liaison, I go to Parsons on every second Monday of every month and give a speech to administrators about the recent events going on at Foran. I enjoy doing it because it’s cool to share what’s going on at our school with those in charge of the schools as they aren’t aware of everything happening.”

Montanaro and Nieman are a pivotal piece of the Foran community and have definitely made a positive impact on the school. 

Montanaro continues, “I can see that I’ve made my mark every time that I finish a speech and they truly realize who they represent and who they advocate for. I hope that I have been able to represent our school and its wonderful events.” 

Senior advisors Mrs. Melissa Cacioppo and Ms. Shauna Newall have seen the work that the student officers have put in to make all the seniors at Foran have a memorable experience. 

“This year we were able to organize the ice cream truck afternoon with games along with our Seniors helping Seniors during the holidays.  Students had hot chocolate and cookies while making crafts that were delivered to the West River Rehabilitation Center.  These events allowed the entire class to come together and have some fun during their last year at Foran,” Cacioppo stated.  

Newall also has some high praise for the senior officers and what they have done. 

Newall states, “I think the Senior class officers have done an amazing job organizing events for their class in order to bring everyone together in their last year of high school. It seems like they wanted to make the most of their senior year, mostly because their high school experience was impacted by Covid. I think they definitely created a sense of unity with the events, spirit weeks, and pep rallies that they helped plan.”