Cool Beans: The Take on Caffeine

Cool%28coffee%29Beans%3A+Coffee+makes+your+day+better%21+Photo+courtesy%3A+Olivia+Connelly.+

Cool(coffee)Beans: Coffee makes your day better! Photo courtesy: Olivia Connelly.

Olivia Connelly and Carly Zieman

Many people believe that drinking coffee as a teen is bad for one’s health and can stunt a person’s growth. But there are surprising benefits from drinking coffee. Coffee can make you feel more awake, and give your more energy. 

By drinking coffee, not only does it make students feel awake but it helps them focus on their school work and making sure everything is turned in on time. According to Healthline, a medical website, it is proven that coffee gives people an energy booster. 

Healthline states, “Caffeine is considered a stimulant. It stimulants the body’s central nervous system, and boosts the brain’s production of a neurochemical known as dopamine, which controls the ability to focus and maintain concentration. This stimulation can cause a person to feel energized and not to feel the effects of fatigue as strongly.”

With this statement, by drinking coffee students can become more alert and concentrate with school work easier. 

There have been questions asked about if coffee can cause future illnesses, Dr. Howard Sadinsky states, “It has short term effects too much caffeine can cause rapid heart rate irregular heart rate, it won’t have any effect on the future.” 

Some believe that drinking coffee can slow down growth but Sadinsky states, “There’s always been a question if caffeine can stop growth but that has not proven, I have not seen any proof of that.” 

Sadinsky also states, “Too much caffeine can have problems but if it’s not over done it’s fine. Caffeine can give you a little energy, keep you awake, and wake you up in the morning.”

For many highschoolers, getting up in the morning can be hard and because getting to class is crucial, caffeine, can help so many students stay awake and alert. 

High school students in the past have had a positive effect with drinking coffee. People feel more awake and ready to get the day started. 

One student in particular, junior Mia Loewenberg states, “Coffee helps me feel awake to be able to focus on my work and get it all done.”

When putting sports and athletic activities into the subject, there is always the question if that can interfere with someone’s ability to properly participate in sport. 

Health teacher, and also coach at Foran, Jeffrey Raucci states, “In my opinion, if teens drink black coffee and keep it under 20 ounces per day, it can have significant positive effects on their energy levels and participation in athletics.

Raucci also states, “However, foods such as apples, bananas, or even green tea will actually provide you with more energy over a longer period of time than black coffee will.” 

With this being said, drinking coffee can lead to beneficial results and will leave people and highschool students feeling more energized, awake, and motivated to start their day.