Foran Football: Tackling the Season Ahead

Dean Ross

Foran versus Lyman Hall: Football’s first game, celebrating their victory. Photo courtesy: Dean Ross, September 10, 2021.

Morgan Viesselman and Tori Matula

After a long year of uncertainty, the Lions can finally put their helmets and pads to work. The team is now ready to return to normal play.

There are six senior captains this year: Dean Ross, Jason Cruz, Barry Held, Kyle Zarnoch, AJ Edmond, and Kyle Pokornowski.

The team has been on the field since August 12 and has not looked back since. Training in the off season is important for all players to help them stay in shape for the upcoming season. 

Freshman Nolan Fortier says, “I have been going to the gym daily over the summer and playing pickup games with my friends when I am free.” Many of the Foran Lions can be found at the gym after school lifting weights and working on getting stronger.

Junior Joe Gaetano has been on the team for three years. He says, “I’m looking forward to playing in front of the home crowd for the first time in two years. I feel like I speak for the whole team when I say we’ve been waiting a long time for this.” Gaetano feels great to be back and thankful they’re able to have an actual season this year. 

Head Coach Thomas Drew states, “This offseason the kids participated in voluntary workouts, they also participated on their own in a 7 v 7 passing league.” Last year he was able to be with the athletes but says that nothing compares to being able to actually participate in the game on a daily basis. “Football is a special sport that promotes strong bonds between teammates, I think that is what we missed the most.” He says how football teaches and gives athletes an outlet to showcase themselves whether it’s in a physical, competitive, or close knit environment. 

Coming onto the team as a freshman can be scary and intimidating, but this group of boys already feel welcomed and a part of the team. 

Fortier says, “I can’t wait for us freshmen to play together and to get to know the team.” Starting to play with a whole different team can be tricky but with more and more practice the players will become one cohesive team.

The Lions had their home opener on Friday the seventeenth against Branford to show their fellow students, teachers, and parents how hard they have been working. Although Branford won 13-10, Foran was able to raise over $1,000 in one day to support Alex’s Lemonade Stand. 

Captain Pokornowski says, “I think we will do pretty well this year. We have a good team and are willing to work hard at practice.” He’s also looking forward to winning and having an enjoyable last season with his team. 

The team gets ready for a trip to Brookfield for their third game of the season, this Friday September 24.