Modified Fall Activities

Journalism two students apple picking at Bishop Orchards in Guilford. Photo Courtesy: Amanda Querioz taken on September 26, 2020

Tatyanna Bun, Staff Writer

This year as we all know life is very different, but that does not mean we can not have fun and still participate in many fall activities. 

Many students have already participated in activities like apple picking. Senior Todd Harris says, “Usually every year I get really excited to go apple picking with my family. It’s been a tradition for a while now and this year I was worried that it would not be allowed, but I went and the only difference is you have to wear a mask. But wearing a mask isn’t even bad. The important thing was that I was still allowed to do it with my family.” If you enjoy apple picking, you can still go and have fun while also being safe by protecting yourself and others. 

The bigger places in Connecticut are Lyman Orchard, Bishops Orchard, and Jones Farm. To see a full list of places to go apple picking in Connecticut, see the link at the bottom. 

English teacher, Mrs. Newall has been visiting Bishop’s Orchard every year since she was born and says, “My family used to go as a whole group and now my dad and I pick one Saturday in the fall to go together and pick a ton of apples. Between the orchard itself and the farm markets, there is so much to do there and we always have such a good time! I’m excited to carry on the tradition of going to Bishop’s for many years to come!”

With Halloween around the corner, houses have been decorating. A quick, easy, and safe activity to do is either pumpkin picking or pumpkin carving. A free option to do is to look at the Facebook group Christmas in Milford, which has houses listed with over-the-top Halloween displays. 

John Krusinki, Milford resident who runs the FB group Christmas in Milford says, “Christmas may be right around the corner, but first comes Halloween. After the year we’ve all had, I bet a lot of people can’t wait until December for one of those special smiles.” The page encourages residents to send in their address if they have big displays.

Junior Dan Thanas says, “I’m excited to just sit around my house watching traditional Halloween movies and to carve pumpkins with my girlfriend.” Freeform is playing Halloween movies every night and Netflix has a collection of movies all grouped together to watch.

Another Halloween related activity is to visit a haunted trail. There are multiple different locations all over Connecticut: Shelton, Wallingford, East Haven, South Windsor, and Waterbury all have haunted trails.

The closest one to Milford is Legends Of Fear in Shelton, the prices vary according to what attraction you would like to attend. If you want to do the haunted hayride and the hollow trail are $30 each, a combo ticket for both attractions is $50. 

Sophomore Jordan Lawrence says, “ I went to The Trail Of Terror in Wallingford with a small group of my friends and it was so much fun. The trail was really scary, but also really thrilling and gives you an adrenaline rush. I stayed with my small group of friends, we all wore masks and stayed at least six feet away from all other groups.”  

There are many activities that are still available for the public to participate in, and if you are not comfortable going out and doing these activities, there are also small crafts and activities to do safely from home. There is always the option to spend quality time with your family or friends to watch different Halloween movies, bake, decorate cookies, and so much more. Halloween is going to be on a Saturday, October 31, 2020.

link to more Orchards – https://www.orangepippin.com/orchards/united-states/connecticut