Adapting to Learning in 2021

Returning to Foran: In person learners from Ms. Hoffer’s AP Human Geography class listen to a lesson. Photo Courtesy: Eliot Poffenberger, January 22, 2021.

Haley Flynn and Eliot Poffenberger

As students and faculty return for in person learning, they reflect on their time at home with mixed emotions. While some thrived learning online others struggled to adjust to the circumstances and remain motivated. Milford is currently functioning in a tier 1 schedule.

Some students are returning to in person learning, but 246 have chosen to remain online. Each student has their own reason for returning back to in person or remaining online.

Junior Georgia Malesky is choosing to stay online but admits, ¨I prefer in person learning because I learn better and can more easily engage with my teachers. It’s also more enjoyable seeing my friends at school instead of through a computer screen.¨ 

Malesky is staying online for safety reasons and anticipates there will be another transition to virtual learning if cases of Covid-19 continue to rise.

On the contrary, students like junior Brian Wilcox enjoy the freedom that distance learning entails, saying, ¨I prefer it because I wasn’t forced to wake up so early like before, and I had time to make sure I was awake and ready, rather than rushing out the door last minute.”

Although Wilcox enjoys online learning he has decided to return to school to put his needs ahead of his wants by increasing work ethic and motivation. 

Wilcox includes that “at times I do not feel as motivated as usual and with many more distractions it is harder to stay focused. It can be hard to separate my school life from my home life when I am in my house for both.”

Students aren’t the only ones who have been affected, however. Many faculty and staff members are discombobulated with the resume of in person schooling.

Journalism teacher Mrs. Lisa Farrell says, “Not everyone is dealt the same hand and it can be really difficult for some students to do their best work at home. But, I understand why they are home and that each family’s needs are different. For me, trying to manage online learners, in person learners, and my own children at their school makes me feel like I am not doing a good enough job helping everyone at times.”

It is difficult for students to make these life changing choices. Some students that stay home to avoid contact in school are now forced to choose between the sports and extracurricular activities that they love, or staying home to avoid catching Covid-19.

Farrell also says, “I feel like everyone needs a high school experience, and these kids give up so much in order to follow protocols. I get emotional because I’ve had students who have had family members who have passed away and I know that parents have been out of jobs and I am lucky to be able to return to my job in person.”