How Freshmen Students are Adapting to High School

Where The Freshman Fears Begin: The exterior of Foran High School. Photo Courtesy: Rumeysa Bayram, March 1, 2021

Rumeysa Bayram and Jocelyn Gonzalez

Many eighth graders tend to feel stressed, worried, or fearful when first entering their four years of high school.

Others are excited to experience the four major years of their lives. Freshmen tend to feel one, or even both at the same time. Arriving at high school is a big deal and it’s okay to feel scared, but those fears eventually die down as one progresses through the years.

Isabel Blanco, a senior at Foran, says, “I remember being very excited, I was making new friends and trying new things, but the environment and workload was so different, it took a while to adjust.”

How To Tips: How to Stay Organized 

Staying organized is very important when it comes to school and all the work you receive. 

Director of School Counseling Mr. Rosengrant at Foran High-School says, “I think the most important thing is to have that accountability, either handwritten or digital- don’t try to just remember everything because there’s just so much going on that you’re bound to forget something. Get it down on paper or in your device, but get it down somewhere!

Kerrie Astrosky, a math teacher at East Shore Middle School stated, “It is a life skill that students really start to see the benefit of as they enter high school. I would also recommend keeping your Google Drive organized with folders and bookmarks – Powerschool, Gmail, and Google Classroom.” 

How to Adjust to the New Environment

High School is a whole new surrounding; especially when starting a new school. So adapting can be somewhat difficult.

Going to a new school students can definitely get nervous; scared even. Some even tend to think they won’t be able to fit in.

Miss Green a new English teacher at Foran says, “Teaching at a new school is similar to the feeling of being a student at a new school… It’s also hard not knowing everyone”

A tip we learned from Miss Green to help students adjust to their new environment is to be yourself. Don’t be someone that others want you to be. Be someone that you want to be and enjoy to be. 

Finding your way around a smaller school is always easier for students, so moving to a multiple story maze like building students can become overwhelming when it comes to finding their way around the building.

Joselyne Cruz, a freshman at Foran high school says, “I was definitely scared going into high school, but I think that my main fear was getting lost in the building.”

How to Stay Connected

Extracurricular activities like basketball, baseball, volleyball, tennis, etc.. are great ways to participate in the school spirit. 

Ms. Springsteen JV basketball coach at Foran says, “Joining extracurricular activities is a great way to meet new people who may have similar interests to you. Pick an activity that you could see yourself sticking with for all four years at Foran, it could also be a great resume builder in the future!”

Clubs can also be very beneficial to your school life. Here are some clubs that Foran has to offer: Drama Club, Debate Club, Best Buddies Club, Key Club, Etc..

Mrs GaNun a PE teacher but also Advisor of Key Club says, “Look at the flayers around the school. Beginning of every year we have club fairs where people get to see the options for clubs.”

Most freshmen tend to have high expectations when heading into the change of environment. Many have a set image in their head about what high school is going to be like or what they are going to experience.

Blanco states, “I had been watching movies my entire life, so I went in expecting there to be strict social groups, mean teachers, and big parties every night, which isn’t the case obviously.” 

When you’re in school with kids three times your age can be frightening; especially with a new high schooler.

Thelariatonline.com states, “They know how to survive in this environment, and you do not.  Just remember that they were once just like you- and in time you’ll be just like them.”

Every student gets the first day jitters; especially in high school. So making it through that first day of your freshman year always feels like an accomplishment. 

Freshman Julian Sevillano says, “After the first day I felt relieved and happy that it was over and I had made it.” 

Being a freshman may seem difficult at first and that jittery feeling may make you nervous but once that first day is over it’s like a fresh start.