Lending a Hand

Volunteer Opportunities Up and Running Since Quarantine

Key+Club+Officers%3A+%28From+left+to+right%29+Arezoo+Gazagh%3A++Vice+President+of+the+Key+Club%2C+Mrs.+Ganun%3A+Club+Advisor%2C+and+Delaney+Mayville%3A+Media+Specialist.+

Lisa Farrell

Key Club Officers: (From left to right) Arezoo Gazagh: Vice President of the Key Club, Mrs. Ganun: Club Advisor, and Delaney Mayville: Media Specialist.

Gracie Brogan, Staff Writer

Schools across the world changed drastically due to Covid-19. Precautions like cohorts, masks, and social distancing were taken, and extracurriculars ceased to operate.

This year, Foran hopes to welcome back clubs and create a less-isolated environment for students. Some clubs that plan to take advantage of these circumstances are the many volunteer organizations at Foran. Last year, many community service clubs weren’t able to volunteer time due to Covid-19 precautions. The 2021-2022 holds new and exciting plans for these clubs. 

Skyler Agresti, president of Habitat for Humanity, shares some of the ways in which the club will utilize these opportunities.

“We are very excited for our volunteer opportunities this year. With some of the Covid restrictions lifted, we will be able to cater more towards our members’ ideas and interests,“says Agresti.

With schools limiting interaction on their property, clubs were subject to these regulations. Some were still meeting after school, but community-focused organizations had taken a hit.

Both officers and members are excited to restart events like food drives, beach and park clean-ups, and more. Catherine Ganun, gym teacher and Key Club advisor at Foran, explains what kinds of opportunities are in the process for Key Clubbers. 

“We are actually allowed to go into the community and volunteer at different events. We have already had a few organizations reach out this year and hoping more will be asking for our help. We are in the process of emailing elementary schools to see what we can do to help them out as well,” says Ganun.

Key Club is involved with events like Touch-a-Truck at Eisenhower Park on October 10 and the Get-In-Touch Fundraiser at Shoprite in Orange and Milford.  Many returning students were able to participate in these events, accompanying new members of the club. Devon Hines, freshman and Key Club volunteer, emphasizes her enthusiasm for the clubs’ plans this year.

She says, “I’m excited to have the opportunity to work with younger kids, moving around at events, and being involved in the community.” As well as the many available ways to participate in the community, members have the opportunity to work together and meet new people within the club.

“I wanted to join the Key Club because I see it as a way to reach out to others and meet new people,” explains Hines.

Information on how to join these clubs can be found in the guidance office, as well as on the Foran High School website.