The Zen Den: Welcoming Mindfulness

Relaxing+Ambience%3A+The+decorated+ambience+of+the+Zen+Den+provides+a+relaxing+atmosphere+for+students+to+practice+mindfulness+during+their+school+day.+October+4%2C+2022.+

Lorelai Christy

Relaxing Ambience: The decorated ambience of the Zen Den provides a relaxing atmosphere for students to practice mindfulness during their school day. October 4, 2022.

Foran High School has made a lot of changes and improvements to its building and its mindset to further encourage students to practice mindfulness. A new addition to the building in the 2022-2023 school year has been the Zen Den, meant to inspire students to practice mindfulness strategies to help them get through the day. Adding this new resource to the school is expected to serve a tremendous purpose in increasing productivity levels in students, as well as reducing their stress.

According to an article written by Harvard Graduate School of Education student Grace Tatter, urging students to increase their practice of mindfulness can have multiple benefits to their overall education and mental state. She writes, “A new study suggests that mindfulness education… can reduce the negative effects of stress and increase students’ ability to stay engaged, helping them stay on track academically and avoid behavior problems.” 

Students often experience increasing rates of stress. It’s not lost on anyone that the fast-paced school environment can put a noticeable amount of stress on students. Therefore, school officials have begun to realize that helping students learn about mindfulness is incredibly important.

School Counselor Ms. Kelianna Bonn says, “It gives them a space to learn and practice mindfulness. We have a lot of tools in the Zen Den to help get students to practice mindfulness.” In the Zen Den, there are lights strung up around the room and sensory tools to help students relax. The dim lighting sets a relaxing environment allowing students to reset. 

When asked how the Zen Den would affect academic performance in students, Bonn said, “It would positively affect students’ academic performance, it gives them time to reset and clear their mind before jumping back into school work…” Having the Zen Den as an accessible resource for students will have a positive impact on their mental health and academic success, allowing them to get into a better headspace to do their school work.

Foran’s Dean of Students Mr. Justin Zywocinski says, “We’re always looking to make changes in the best interests of our students.” In regards to student mental health, awareness has increased significantly over the past few years, especially due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its social-emotional impact on students.

In addition to the Zen Den, possible changes may be coming to the school to further accessibility to resources for student mental health. However, considering how long the Zen Den took to be put in place, those changes may not be seen for a while. The Zen Den plans were drawn up in spring of 2020, unfortunately becoming one of the many things that were put on the back burner during the COVID-19 pandemic.