Milford Mariners Skate into the Season with a New Coach

Getting+Prepared%3A+Senior+captain+Chris+Adkins+takes+the+ice+for+their+first+captains+practice%2C+November+15%2C+2022.+

Chris Adkins

Getting Prepared: Senior captain Chris Adkins takes the ice for their first captains practice, November 15, 2022.

The Milford Mariners hockey team is set to kick off their season on December 14 with a new leader. Head coach Shaun Malay is hoping to guide the Mariners to a successful season in his first year in the role. Last year, the Mariners ended the season with a 1-15-5 record, and Malay is looking forward to trying to improve it this year. 

Malay states, “I love coaching hockey and I recognize the Mariners as a great opportunity! The timing worked out perfectly for both me and the team.”

As far as preparation for the upcoming season, Malay is working with Jonathan Law athletic director VJ Sarullo to continue hiring assistant coaches and improve his relationship with Sarullo.

Senior captain Chris Adkins says, “I am really looking forward to being able to play under Malay this year. I’ve only met Coach Malay once but I think we can do great things as a team behind his lead. I think he can help the team reach new levels.” Adkins has played on the team all four years of his high school career.

Malay has coached over 20 years of high school and youth travel hockey. He coached at Joel Barlow High School and Wilton High School in his previous years. Malay also has extensive experience coaching the Southern Stars, who are located in Milford at the Milford Ice Arena. Malay has also has experience on the ice, playing for over 50 years. 

The Milford Mariners hockey team has student athletes from Jonathan Law, Foran, and Platt Tech. Their home games are played at the Milford Ice Arena. The Mariners have been playing in preseason fall games without their new coach due to CIAC regulations. The team has to wait until November 28 to start practicing and playing games under Malay. 

This year, there are three seniors on the team, and they hope to make an impact on the several underclassmen that represent the future of the program. 

Sophomore Daniel Lavallee states, “The returning team was able to create a good bond with one another in previous years, we will take our abilities to help the new coach, and create a positive team environment.” Malay strives to develop each player in order to optimize talents, and individual skills to better the team.

Winning starts with team morale. This year the mariners are striving to make states for the first time in three years. Malay heavily values personal relationships with his players. 

He shares, “Some of my best friends in the world have been my hockey teammates.” Hockey has been a huge part of Malay’s life, and now it’s his time to spread his knowledge about the game to the younger generation.