Toys Spreading Joy

Annual Toys for Tots Drive

Alexandra Montero

Hope for the Holidays: Student actively donating to Toys for Tots, December 6, 2022.

With the holidays right around the corner, the spirit of giving back is in the air and it’s time for the annual Toys For Tots toy drive. Just one of Milford’s ways of helping the community, this program is run by local Milford Firefighters, Local 944. 

Milford has been volunteering and donating through the Fire Department since the 1930s. It originally began as firefighters fixing old toys and repainting them. Then, in the 1960s, they took apart broken bikes to make new bikes for kids. It has since evolved to fundraising and getting the community involved and in support of its children.

Toys for Tots is a worldwide organization with a mission to provide toys to all children, anywhere from newborn to age 11, that are part of households in need. The organization has been able to contribute over eighteen million toys to 7 million families. The organization also keeps all toys local, meaning donations stay in the community and benefit the kids of the donors’ city.

According to the Milford Patch, the program has provided three hundred Milford families with toys yearly. These can vary from “toys, books, sporting goods, and games.” 

This program has also become a staple within the Foran community itself. The Student Council is working with the firefighters to help collect and encourage donations from students. Boxes found in both the TLC (Teaching and Learning Commons) and main office are the collection points this year. 

Mrs. Tammi Spose, an advisor of student council, says they are “…proud to help out and organize for our school.”

Toys are being collected from November 28 to December 14 and will then be taken and sorted by the Fire Department to ensure children throughout our community can have a joy-filled holiday. 

Within Milford, Toys for Tots has expanded to become the biggest community project and is filled with many volunteers, both active and off-duty firefighers.

Mr. Jason Stacoffe, Co-chairman of the Milford Firefighters, states that “a majority of the work is done by veteran members.” They help with organizing and distributing the toys, which are stored at the Margaret S. Egan center in Devon, a neighborhood in Milford, until late December.

Stacoffe also comments, “Many families from within the department also come out to assist us with our giveaway day.” 

The community has been brought together in a way unlike any other, all while making a noticeable impact on the youth of Milford. 

Toys can be turned into the TLC by December 14.