Salvation Army

A Time To Give

Photo is a picture of the giving logo of Salvation Army.Photo Courtesy of Laura Kruger, December 1st.

Melissa Santos, Staff Writer

December is a wonderful month when people give back to one another, whether it is something big or small.The important thing is helping others, and that’s what Salvation Army does.

The Salvation Army’s religious and social-service activities serve millions of men, women and children in 130 nations around the world. Volunteers, contributors and other supporters make those services possible in local communities.

William Booth began The Salvation Army in July 1865, preaching to a small congregation in the slums of London. With the military spirit of a professional soldier, he battled bravely against almost overwhelming enemies: debasing poverty, biased public policy, ignorance, addictions, sin and despair.

Their mission statement is “Salvation Army, an international movement, is an evangelical part of the universal Christian church. Its message is based on the Bible. Its ministry is motivated by the love of God. Its mission is to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ and to meet human needs in His name without discrimination.”

Donating this year will be a bit different from the years before, but Mrs. Kruger, Director of Public Relations and Marketing at Salvation Army said, “People can still donate in all types of ways. At the Red Kettles, Covid protocols are in place with bell ringers wearing masks and gloves as well as following sanitizing procedures.”

Bell ringers are out at shopping centers from mid to late November through December 24. For those who don’t carry cash, donations at the kettles can be done by tapping the NFC readers with a mobile device or scanning the QR code.

Joseph A. Foran High School Key Club members are creating posts through social media to get the word out about Salvation Army’s website. Tuana Gonul, the President of Key Club says, “This year key club will not be participating in being the bell ringers to ensure the safety of other members.But what we are doing instead is making social media posts that go to Salvation Army’s website so people can donate.”

There are also other ways to donate to The Salvation Army. In Connecticut on the website SalvationArmyCT.org, text GIVECT to 71777, you can donate to The Salvation Army’s Family Store (thrift store), donation of time through volunteerism. One of the most recognizable ways to donate is by dropping coins and cash at the Red Kettle during the holidays.