Improving Health Through Daily Activities

Visual Art: Drawing is an excellent way to relieve stress and be creative. Photo courtesy: Stephanie Galaburri, December 6, 2020.

Stephanie Galaburri, Staff Writer

Developing good daily habits is beneficial in all aspects of life. It is important to practice self-renewal for your physical, social/emotional, mental, and spiritual health. 

An easy activity to improve your health is simple exercise. Mayo Clinic mentions some physical benefits include, “It prevents or manages various conditions, including heart disease, high blood pressure and type 2 diabetes.” Young adults should be getting at least 30 minutes of exercise a day and for anyone who doesn’t like to work out, even a simple stroll around the neighborhood will strengthen multiple areas of health. 

Apart from exercise, forms of art can also improve mental health.“It can help to boost confidence and make us feel more engaged and resilient. Art engagement also alleviates anxiety, depression and stress.” says the Mental Health Foundation. Visual and performing arts are a great way to be creative and expressive. 

Developing better communication skills is a great area to start in when improving social health. The Community Access Network says to practice proper body language and maintain eye contact, also practice being a good listener. Joining a volunteer group or a club of something that sparks interest might take the pressure off of introducing yourself.

Emotions can be difficult to control, but they are never invalid. “I always feel creating solid and healthy relationships with people is so beneficial to positive emotional well being.” says social worker Mrs. Kristine Windsor. Suppressing emotions can affect anyone mentally in a very negative way. Instead of acting out on or hiding your emotions you can talk to somebody that you trust to gain a different perspective on the topic and develop the strength you need to face it. Students are encouraged to utilize their resources and talk to adults whenever necessary. 

Spirituality does not only have to include religious beliefs. Meditation and prayer are good practices to becoming more spiritual however, Mayo Clinic describes it as, “It arises from your connection with yourself and with others, the development of your personal value system, and your search for meaning in life.” To pursue your spirituality may help you realize what’s most important in your life and where to focus your energy. 

“We all have different coping skills and strategies that keep us feeling good. However, it’s always a good idea to mix it up and try something new to keep you out of the mundane,” Windsor says. She adds to always try to find things that you enjoy and make you happy.