Let The Winter Games Begin

Will Winter Sports Start Soon

Photo of Joseph A. Foran High School´s basketball team. Photo Courtesy of Zach Trevethan,January 13.

Melissa Santos, Staff Writer

It’s that time of year again, Where the temperature starts to drop below freezing, and student-athletes at Joseph A. Foran High School are getting ready to start their winter season.

Mr. Vitelli, Foran’s athletic director says, “Once it is deemed safe for us to return to our sports, I feel that things will go very well. The athletic department has been working very closely with our school and city administration to make sure that we are ready and prepared to start once we are allowed to.”

As of today, winter sports are scheduled to begin on January 19. Various committees are working together to help finalize the official start date. The CIAC  Board of Governors is meeting on Thursday, January 14 to decide what sports start and when. While the date is being finalized, all student-athletes are being encouraged to continue to work hard in their classes, also to communicate with their teachers and coaches, and to always try their best every single day. 

Mr. Kirkpatrick, the boys basketball coach, says, “Our coaching staff is excited to get back on the court with our student-athletes. We have built a very good culture within our program and we want to sustain that moving forward.”

Vitelli and Kirpatrick both agree that maintaining those relationships with student-athletes is important and it’s something to look forward to building upon. These relationships help student-athletes succeed in school and the various sports that they play.

During this time student-athletes and coaching staff must follow the recommendations made by the school administration and the health department.  Following all the safety protocols put in place this year, will have to be one of their top priorities.

Mr. Kirkpatrick says, “ Our student-athletes and coaches can’t wait to get started for this season. We have been holding virtual meetings to stay in contact with our student-athletes.  They have been conditioning from their home and are getting ready for the start of the season.”

Not being able to be at games and support teams at this time is truly unfortunate. However, there are always ways that people can support the teams from home, such as donating money for funds for different teams. People can also support student-athletes by streaming their games when they are live.

Vitelli says, “I am really excited to be back at school and see everyone in person.”