Remembering the Season: The End of Fall Sports

Katharine Harrison

The Final Countdown: The clock ticks to the end of the Lyman Hall game earlier this season.

Katharine Harrison, Overall Manager

As fall comes to an end, so do Friday night lights and Monday evening volleyball games. Athletes, coaches, and fans alike have mixed feelings at the end of the season.

Many teams are back to a more normal season following the pandemic last year, when many sports had shortened seasons or were canceled. Football was one sport that lost its season last year, but the team was glad to be back.

Football coach Thomas Drew says, “I think it was great for our kids to be back out on the football field and I think for teams across the state it was an interesting year because it took time to get back into football shape, not just physically but mentally… I think things finally feel normal again.”

Over the course of the season, teams have spent a lot of time together. As the season closes, athletes and coaches share their favorite memories. 

Girls’ Cross Country Coach Shannon Ramsey states, “My favorite memory was placing sixth at the SCC championship meet with a team of 11.”

Coach Drew says his favorite memory was, “…probably the first practice, the first time being with this group of kids after a year and a half apart was a great feeling, and that feeling was a great memory.”

Varsity Football athlete David Gaetano states, “I loved being with my teammates on the field.”

Gaetano was recently awarded with the SCC scholar athlete award, along with Girls’ Cross Country runner Megan McTigue. 

McTigue says, “I’m sad that it’s over and I’m going to miss it so much! I love the team and I know they’ll continue to do amazing even without the seniors next year.”

Great memories can also be made on the sidelines, as shown by Foran’s spirited student section. 

Senior Andrew Kupson says, “I’m Foran’s biggest supporter. I like supporting the team and having fun.”

For seniors especially, there are mixed feelings about the end of the season.

Volleyball captain Arezoo Gazagh says, “It’s bittersweet because I’m proud of seeing where we’ve all gone, and I understand that the season has to come to an end… I’m proud of everyone else on the team and I’m excited to see where they all go.”

Swim captain Grace Tavitian agrees, saying, “I’m sad. I’ve been on the team for four years, and it’s been so nice to see everyone progressing. It’s good to know the team will be in good hands next year.”

Even though fall sports is coming to an end, that doesn’t mean the memories and feelings on and off the field will fade. 

To his senior athletes, Drew says, “You have your family at Foran and we’ll always be your family even five, fifteen, twenty years down the line, and you can always call on me and that will never change. You go through Foran and you’ve got a second family for life.”