“It’s Up to You to Hold Yourself Accountable”

College Counseling From the Class of ‘22

Basit Idriss

New Threads: Basit Idriss in his new UMass Lowell track suit, September 15, 2022.

Freshmen in college typically have a rough time adjusting to the new environment. It can be hard to find roommates, eat healthy, handle stress, and get exercise. Studies show an average freshman can gain up to seven and a half pounds. 

Despite these concerns, some of the Foran class of ‘22 has had no problem adjusting to the new atmosphere and offer advice to juniors and seniors preparing to attend college.

With going to college, the decision in choosing a college that fits you can be quite stressful and complicated.

Foran alumni, Charlie Diamantis says, “My advice for looking for a college is to find a school that specializes in your major and trust your gut with that decision.”

Diamantis attends Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts and says his biggest challenge was his time management and keeping on track with his school work. 

Foran alumni Basit Idriss says that the biggest challenge is freedom. 

“No one is there to keep you in line,” he says, “It’s up to you to hold yourself accountable.”

According to the American College Health Association, around 45% of college students have said they’re experiencing high levels of stress in the first year of college. 

An article written by Jan Hall from Timely MD, states that the two most important ways of handling stress are getting enough sleep and focusing on your health and nutrition. In College, students typically stay up late studying for an exam or completing work. 

To limit this, Hall says to avoid caffeine and create study schedules where you won’t have to cram all your work to the last minute.

The class of ‘22’s valedictorian Megan McTigue says, “When I’m stressed out I like to take a break and either watch TV, take a walk to get food, or hangout with friends.” 

McTigue attends the University of Connecticut, where full ride scholarships are given to valedictorians of Connecticut high schools. 

Springfield College freshman Ava Candido says one of her biggest problems was getting used to sharing a room with someone you don’t know at first. She also says it is important to not get discouraged right away and know that it will take time to adjust.    

A dream of many high school athletes is to play their sport at the next level in college. A study from Scholarship Stats shows only 7% of high school athletes end up playing a sport in college.  

Idriss gives advice to these athletes interested in playing sports in college by saying, “It’s fun being a D1 athlete with awesome facilities, but it is a huge commitment. I would not recommend it if you don’t truly love the sport you would play.” 

College is considered by most as the last step to adulthood. The class of ‘22 provides insight on how college is as daunting as it seems, but it’s not hard to adjust, and once freshmen do, they’ll thrive.