Unbreakable Bonds

Teacher Connections With Co-workers

Working+together+for+Women%3A+Social+Studies+Department+wears+purple+for+International+Womens+Day%2C+March+7%2C+2023.+

Lisa Farrell

Working together for Women: Social Studies Department wears purple for International Women’s Day, March 7, 2023.

Over the years of teaching, Foran teachers have created bonds with each other in many ways. Teachers are usually closer to other teachers in their department because they are able to talk more, and are in the same halls,  allowing for easier communication. There are many benefits of teachers being close together, such as coming up with ideas for new assignments and possible field trips for their classes as the year progresses. 

According to Research.com, teacher collaboration leads to improved student outcomes. It states that “21% of teachers who participate in collaborative professional learning at least once a month reinforce their skills in the classroom.” 

Lots of teachers have strong bonds with their colleagues through their years of working here, including Ms. Emily Plude with Ms. Meghan Hudson, as well as Ms. Tori Depalma with Ms. Chelsea Green. 

Ms. Plude says, “I have a few bonds with some of my coworkers, but I need to cite the first one I have had here…. Ms. Hudson was my mentor many years ago when I was working on my teaching certification.”

People form bonds for many different reasons, but it is always dependent on the actions of others. When asked how the bond started with Ms. Hudson, Plude said “I was her student teacher, so being an artist and visual arts educator it was pretty natural she also taught my little brother, which makes her know too much.”  

Teachers can relate with co-workers in their same department better since they talk more and have more in common with one another. 

DePalma explained,“Ms Green and I became close when she first started teaching, so a couple years ago. She was new, and I knew what it was like to be a new teacher and to be at a new school.”

Teachers often want to help the newer people in their community and make it easier for them in this new environment. Some might find it easy to adapt, while others may find it a little harder. 

DePalma states, “I kind of extend all of my help towards new teachers especially if they are in my content area with sophomores or English teachers, so I try and plan with them and give them as much material as they need to help them kind of get off their feet and get a good start.” 

Teachers are there for each other when needed and they are always there to help and talk to one another. This not only helps them bond but it also helps create a positive environment for not only them, but for students as well.